Sunday, August 4, 2013

Driving through the night

I have been attempting to sit down and get us somewhat caught up but there have been so many alterations to our plans  (which I will also update) that I really have not had the proper mind set to get things going.  But, sitting in Mama Nora's kitchen with fresh coffee and a cozy covering to keep me warm on this chilly Oregon morning seems like a good time to try to make a few things happen.  So here's Colorado and our visit with my big brother, sister in law, and my niece and nephews.  



My oh so patient big brother kept texting us to find out where we were.  I tried to tell him how slow we are when it comes to our drive time but I don't think he really understood what I meant until he was able to experience it first hand.  When we drove into Colorado, I snapped this picture to text him.  


Crumpets was given a brief moment of freedom - well, in the car freedom.  She is not "buckled" in at the moment and she has taken on her favorite place in the car.  Those are her four paws squarely on the middle consul in the front of the car.  Not a driving hazard in the slightest, right? 


We did finally make it into Colorado Springs but it was so late and I was so tired that I asked Chad if we could meet up for breakfast the next morning.  It was not an ideal request. I love my family and I will do what I can to spend as much time with them as I can but I also know the limitations of myself, my family, and our needs as a family unit. The next morning we did get to have breakfast at my brother's place and then there was a game of street football.  Dorothy, I don't believe we are in Kansas anymore.  We are not a sports family, my brother and his family are - especially football.  But, Andrew and Aydan were great sports (get it? hee hee) and ran around and played outside for as long as they could in the heat and higher altitude.  


Andrew and Aydan receiving instructions on how to play from Daniel.  


Chad, Tommy, and Gabby all working on their next play. 


Wish I would have had a nickle...


Came across this picture in an album that Samantha had. My brother looks so young and he's sitting next to our family's best friend, Brizzly. 


That's right!  Reserved for Henning-Kolberg family and hands down better than the KOA we stayed at Saturday and Sunday night and for half the price.  State parks have been our best locations for camping.  Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado was perfect. 


Mountains in the background :) 


Colorado Springs and Fort Carson below.  We didn't realize that we would be right across the street from the military base my brother is stationed at.  So convenient. 


More mountains. 


Good morning family.  


The sun looks gianormous and on that day it certainly felt as though it was just a tad bit closer than normal.  Considering the altitude, that could be right. This was the day we did garden of the gods. 


Panorama images are fun, right? 


Cousins :)  Love it :) 


Cool rock formations in the distance.  


That is still our same campsite only the mountain is completely enveloped in fog.  


Crumpets would like her beauty rest undisturbed, thank you very much. 


Sleepy time with the pups. It was really kind of incredible how comfortable we all were in the camper - dogs included. 


When a sign is edged out into the middle of the sidewalk with a list of crazy tasty sounding cupcakes on it and a little note on the bottom that says you can add ice cream for $.25 you stop and get cupcakes and ice cream.  At least that's why my boys did :) 


Oh Andrew, I love you. 



Same goes for you, Aydan :) 


Silly faces by street sculptures. 


At first I couldn't even remember why I took this picture.  Hey, it's a street, cool...and then I realized that I was just astonished to look up and see mountains...way off in the distance, just hanging out, being mountains.  Sigh.  Lovely. 


Dinner!  Apple Gouda brats, beets, zuchini, and corn.  Yum. 


Oh the places Rosie can make comfortable. 


I don't know quite how I feel about this little sign attached to an antique washing machine at the Ghost Town in Colorado Springs...thoughts?


My love of Tom Robbins has led to a love of various inanimate objects.  Typewriters are definitely one of them. 


Giant watch!!! This must have been made for a Texan... ;) 


I so love this picture of my big brother.  It's so good to get to hang out with him and I'm always a sobbing mess when I have to leave him.  I just miss him and the bond of family you can only find in a sibling that has been there since you were born. I told Andrew that if anyone had told me when I was a kid that I would cry at leaving my brother I would have thought they were crazy but as an adult, I love my big brother. I am proud of the man he has become.  The role of loving father and husband combined with the life of an active duty soldier cannot be an easy one but he and my sister-in-law, Samantha, have found a way to make it work. I know I couldn't live that lifestyle but I am grateful for the men, women, and families that can and do. 


This would be the whore house in the old ghost town, not horror house as my nephew, Tommy, thought. This would also be where Tommy was told a very G rated version of what a whore house was/is by his aunty Traci. Wonder what he will think when he's older and realizes what kind of company is being bought and sold? 


Crumpets is the queen of figuring out where the least convenient place to lay will be.  Although, in the camper while we are packing up there are no inconvenient places to lay down. 


Saying good bye to our campsite...


Saying goodbye to family.  Always, always tear worthy. 


A little light reading for our car ride :) 




Ginkgo leaves saved from Miss Maggie Miller :) 


10,000 foot elevation while driving through Colorado.  We each tried to take pictures but stopped when we realized there was no way to make it look like it did when you are actually there.  Amazing, amazing view. 


Ouray was a little town we found close to our campsite, Ridgway State Park.  We had a wander around their little town and then Andrew found a path that led to a water fall and we were off to check it out. 


Just so much pretty...









Andrew says goodbye to Ridgway for us just as a storm is getting ready to dump on us.  We were quick. 


Aydan - it's time to go. 


Andrew - same thing.  I love how when they are ready to go, they are READY to GO.  Me too. 


My new favorite coffee mug from Chad and Samantha and a fun reminder of a fun day. 

So, that pretty much wraps up Colorado.  From the point where we hopped in the car at Ridgway we drove from there to Oregon.  We did stop in Utah (GORGEOUS!) but after that Andrew drove us through the night into Idaho and we arrived in Bend by about 7:00 on Monday...at least I think it was Monday...I will update a few more things as I can.  Although we are staying with Nora we really have not been very stationary.  It's amazing how much there is to do here and how busy we always seem to be.  Today is horseback riding and I better wrap this up and wake the boys so we can leave on time!
Love to all! 










































No comments:

Post a Comment